Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Forget My Refund Check - Give Me a Few Bushels of Corn Instead!

What in the world is going on with the global hunger for corn these days? It seems our need to grow corn for ethanol has other nations challenged, as they need that corn for food. Indeed, I guess we do here at home as well, and we probably need that water that is growing that corn for other crops as well. Who knows what's going to happen, maybe the price of food will inflate to a point all the people get skinny as they can no longer afford it here?

Yesterday, I was sitting in Starbucks talking with one of the usual suspects, or should I say fast-talking acquaintances who sits at home all day buying and selling stocks and commodities online, and we were discussing the commodities markets as of late; copper, gold, silver, wheat, pork bellies?, and of course corn, which appears to have taken flight on an bio-fuel powered jet aircraft. He is quite the joker and he said to me; "forget my refund check from the IRS, who cares if the government shuts down, just buy me a dozen bushels of corn and keep my refund check, I can make hay with that!"

Indeed, I was laughing my butt off until I stopped to think about the $750 per bushel price and realized he was talking about $9,100 based on today's price. Interestingly enough, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal the other day titled "High Corn Prices Appear to Be Here to Stay" published on April 9, 2011 and written by Andrew Peaple - and I must say in looking at the chart over the last 18 months in that article had me convinced that my acquaintance might actually be better off with corn rather than a refund, especially if he is wholly invested and the government shuts down due to budget debates and no refund checks go out?

Speaking of budget cuts and commodities the day before that in the WSJ there was another article titled; "Farm Subsidies: Sacred Cows No More" by Bill Tomson, Siobhan Hughes, and Tom Polansek which was making an interesting statement that the farmers were doing so well, they hardly needed subsidies to produce corn for ethanol, or their crops this year. Of course the South MidWest shows that the droughts continue, so agricultural commodities will rise, and the rest of the world is challenged with these supply and demand issues.

Indeed, I hope you will consider all this. Don't invest in commodities unless you understand the volatile game, and seek out a financial advisor to help you understand all the risks.

Lance Winslow is the Founder of the Online Think Tank, a diverse group of achievers, experts, innovators, entrepreneurs, thinkers, futurists, academics, dreamers, leaders, and general all around brilliant minds. Lance Winslow hopes you've enjoyed today's discussion and topic. http://www.WorldThinkTank.net - Have an important subject to discuss, contact Lance Winslow.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Lance_Winslow

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6174245

No comments:

Post a Comment